FILM Directing * appendix pages : forms
Mamet: “The structure of any dramatic form should be a syllogism-- which is a logical construct of this form: “if A” ... “then B” “ (p. 63)
[ advertising space : webmaster ]
Enter the name of a movie, TV show, or person and then click "Go" to get more information about it/them from imdb.com.
Editing Checklist *
I probably need a checklist for students to go over before the tests.
NotesTextbook : appendix 2
06 "film project form" (to collect)
name _____________ working title ________________
phone _____________ email __________________
[ fill out this form to see how much you know about your film. textbook p. 621 (reduced) + post it on yahoo-cls-directing ]
My film will be ____ minutes long,
will be shot on (format) _________ ,
is expecpected to take __________ shooting days,
check what applies (finished, submitted):
A thematic statement (proposal) __
A treatment __
Schooting script __
2. Personal philosophy behind the making of this film (Why did you want to make this film?)
3. Premise (the film explores my convictions by ...)
5. Main characters, their wants, dominant traits, and major conflict each (most important first)
Character A __________
Character B __________
6. Main situation affectinf the main characters
7. Point of view
8. The film main conflict
9. The confrontation
10. Story resolution
11. Intended impact
After they have seen my film, I want my audience members to: (a) Feel ___________________________
(b) Think __________________________
(c) Tell all their friends to go and see the film because ___________
12. Other [ central image(s), main theme(s) and etc. ]
Team/Crew [ class member(s) ]
... Why? Why did I make this page? Never mind the Dictionary! How long will it take to compose this Checklist?
Did you see the "Ten Commandments" for film director?
This checklist is endless, kids. In fact, there are several of them (look at the Editing, for example). I think I will die before I can finish it. I do not want to die doing it.
[ not updated ]
1. Checklist on ContinuetyEditor:
1. The Film Editor watches the footage (takes)
2. The Film Editor completes an editing script including title and credits.
3. The Film Editor creates a rough cut in a recongnizable manner following the editing script.
4. The Film Editor creates a final cut clearly following the editing script and showing mastery of the editing process.
Props[not posted yet]
Color, Art design continuety:
2. Checklist on PlotDramatic Composition
3. Character(s) Checklist5 Ws --Who, Where, Why, When, What
1-2-3 Dramatic Composition (Exposition, Climax, Resolution)
Tasks (Objectives) and Obstacles
Super-Objective and Through-Line
Type and relations to to rest of the cast
Genre (comedy, drama and etc.)
4. Images and ThemesImage must reappear at least three times. Visualization.
5. Sound and MusicMain themes.
Sound design choices
6. Stylefilm.vtheatre.net (film analysis)
7. TempoSee Editing and Edit pages.
Mise-en-SceneMise-en-Scene: What is put in the scene: The theatrics of space as that space is created for the camera. The staging of the shots.
All properties independent of: camera position, camera movement, and editing(for its own sake). Includes: lighting, costume, acting style, sets. (editing for the effect of the scene NOT for the edit itself)
Setting and sets: reality, documentary, fabricated
Quality of acting
Balance of character to scene or space
[ ... ]
Questions for analyzing mise-en-scene:
Do the objects and props in the setting, whether natural or created have special significance that relates to the characters or the story?
Does the arrangement of objects, props, and characters within the setting have some significance? Do inanimate objects seem to have life?
How do the events relate to the spaces in which they occur? (E.g. Does a catastrophe only occur in the city scenes?) Relate this to the overall effect not just to those specific scenes.[ movies in class ]
[ to be updated ]
see shows.vtheatre.net (must write mini-review 200words)
Learn by evaluating your own films!
see STUDENTS page!
2007 An online course supplement * Film-North * Anatoly Antohin. * eCitations *
© 2005 by vtheatre.net. Permission to link to this site is granted. Film DIRECTING amazon
Theatre UAF: Pinter * Playscript Analysis *